Friday, August 24, 2012

Petie-o-potamus

So I picked Peyton up from school yesterday and as I'm signing her out, her teacher says (in a very loving way), "Could you please have a conversation with her about not picking up her friends?  She's a little bigger than the other kids and she's always picking them up."  I had to suppress a giggle as I pictured my little rough-houser sneaking up behind unsuspecting classmates and hoisting them into the air, their legs flailing.  I, of course, had a gentle talk with her and don't expect this to be a problem again.  However, it got me thinking about the little girl we're raising.  She is such an individual and it amazes me every day how she grows more and more into her own person and becomes less and less...us.

One of the things I enjoy so much about her at this age is the hilarity that comes from her mouth.  Last night Jonathan and I had a Mary Kay event to attend so she stayed with her awesome Gran and PopPop (shout out to the G-parents, whoot whoot).  As Jonathan was lifting a half-asleep Peyton from the car, she looked at him with eyes closed and said, "Your breath smells like brussel sprouts."  BAHahaha!

Anyway, my little smart cookie is such a sponge.  I'm amazed by her daily at how much she learns just but observing.  One very exciting new development is READING!  Her mimi (shout out to another G-parent!) started working with her on flashcards and sounding out words.  She can read around 15-20 sight words and I'm such a proud mama for it!

Here is a picture of Pete on her first Friday of the school year.  She's sporting her spirit shirt and a smile!

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture. She always has that smile! Request to you to blog about your chicken rub recipe again. I cannot find where I wrote it down. It is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete